Thursday, January 21, 2010

Not That Much Separates Us


 "To the immature other people are not real." This quote from a different book challenges me to be honest with myself and then try harder to ensure that other people are always real to me. Love thy neighbor as thyself, and as the author of The Help asserts you will find that no matter who your neighbor is "not that much separates us." I found parts of myself (good and bad) in each of the characters. I loved these people.  Aibeleen thought it was so important that the little white Moe Maebly  felt smart, kind, and important Aibeleen, the black maid who was constantly treated by Moe Maebly's mom and her mom's friends like she was none of these things. I loved this book. It helped me see people of all races and backgrounds in a different, kinder and more understanding light.

No comments: